Sunday, November 3, 2013

Monthly Reads Recap - October 2013



(Don't mind my wonky words up there! I did the best I could!) 
 Oh October... The month of my birth, of my mom's birth, and of Halloween... You are quite entertaining... My monthly total was higher than average because I read several "in-betweeners" in a day. I also managed to hit my yearly goal this month, which I didn't even realize until someone else pointed it out to me! That makes me pretty happy because November is going to have a low count!

(As always, all links will take you to GoodReads!)


A sad retelling of the Peter Pan story, but from TinkerBell's point of view, and about Tiger Lily (obviously!). While I enjoyed it I found it rather depressing at times and not at all what I was expecting. It was still a really good book though!

The lives of four women intertwine in an interesting way, and only one character was only remotely appealing. But I do like that about this book, that it was real. That not everyone was perfect. Still, it wasn't the best Jennifer Weiner book I've read!

I won this through GoodReads First Reads program (which I just adore!) and I was so happy to start in on it! Turns out it was much more... uhm... real life than I expected. I thought it would be silly and quirky and kind of a chick-lit from a man's point of view. It was much more serious than that though, and lacked a lot of depth, and I think that affected my rating of it.

I swear, I have heard more about this book than any other this year! I was happy to give it try, but I have to admit I was a bit disappointed with the last bits of it. Things felt a bit rushed. I'm happy to give the others a read when I get a chance though!

Oh Chelsea Handler... I want to find you beyond hilarious, but I just can't. Somehow she only manages to come across as a snobby drunk and not much else, but I do find the circumstances she gets herself in to pretty amusing.


I REALLY want to read an awesome mermaid novel, but I have yet to find one. This book sounded pretty cool but all it did was disappoint me. It was just Twilight with killer mermaids! Gah!

This is my first Bill Bryson book and I was expecting great things from it. But, for some reason, all it did was make me super sad! The whole book is filled with horribly depressing facts about the state of the wild in the US and how no one really cares anyways. Of course, there are funny bits about the hike, but they are totally overshadowed by the terrible state of the Parks Service. 

Apparently Kelle Hampton is a polarizing figure in the blogging/down syndrome world, you either love her or you can't stand her. I guess I'm in the middle of that, because I'm not sure I really care about her much. I did think the book was beautiful, but I'm a little unsettled by how her perfect life completely collapsed at the news that her daughter had Down Syndrome. She made it seem like it was something done to her and something terrible that SHE had to overcome, instead of being determined to move through it WITH her daughter. Kind of snobby...

I loved this book! I've never read anything by this author before, but I am determined to read more after this one! It was beautiful and sweet and I hated that it had to end! I was also pretty excited that it was a single book and not a series (even though I wished it was!).

This was one of the "in-betweeners" that I was talking about earlier! Although, this was more of a prequel... It was super short and from another characters point of view, but it was a nice read anyways!


Another "in-betweener" that was technically a prequel. I really liked The Knife of Never Letting Go, but this short story really didn't add anything to it. In fact, I feel like I already knew everything that was written. I wish there was more discussion on the ships, but maybe that will come in a later book...

A real "in-betweener"! I liked that this introduced the world that will be in Across a Star-Swept Sea because I really wasn't sure what to expect! I'm excited to get my hands on the full book now!

And another "in-betweener"! I've had a love/hate relationship with the Taker Trilogy, but I was still curious about this little book. It was interesting, and I'm curious if the Witch Sister will show up in the final book, but overall it wasn't incredibly impressive...

GAH! I feel like I should have LOVED this book, but I totally didn't! Maybe it was too meta for me? I mean, I did like it and I thought that it was pretty funny, but it ended up getting rather annoying at certain points. Maybe Scalzi just isn't for me?

When I think back on this book I can't say that I hated it with a passion, but I can't really say that I loved it. In fact, I just felt like it was kind of mediocre. The dialogue really bothered me because I just can't imagine people talking the way they do, but whatever. I may read the others if I'm in a lull, but I doubt it. (Although later book synopsis's do sound appealing...)

So that was it for October! I'm pretty happy that I hit my yearly goal early this year because that means I can relax for the next two months! I probably wont, but at least it's an option!

Total Books Read - October : 15
Total Books Read - Year : 110
Year Goal : 110

No comments:

Post a Comment