Monday, September 30, 2013

Monthly Reads Recap - September 2013



This month seemed to take forever, but I swear this year is just flying by! I had quite a few books on my list, but I pushed a few back when I realized I just wasn't in the mood for them. That's the joy of the TBR list, it's always changing! 

(As always, all links will take you to GoodReads!)


Guards! Guards! (Discworld #8) - Terry Pratchett
My first Discworld book, and my first Pratchett book! It was tough going at first, but the more I read the more I enjoyed, and I am looking forward to another Discworld novel in my future!

The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns #1) - Rae Carson
I always got this book mixed up with others that had similar names and covers, so I was a bit unsure of what I was jumping in to. Overall I was a fan of the story, even though there were a few annoying issues.. I'm interested enough to read the rest of the series though!

Bride of New France - Suzanne Desrochers
Beautiful, but so depressing. Really a good read, and incredibly interesting to learn about "New France", but I wish things worked out better for everyone involved!

The Healing - Jonathan Odell
Such a lovely book, but also a bit sad! There were certain parts that were amazing and that I loved, but I wasn't completely sold on the entire book. The main character drove me nuts through most of the story, and was only slightly redeemed in the final chapters!


Silver Sparrow - Tayari Jones
I was on a roll with the sad books, and this was the end of the line for me! I kept hoping that things would work out and that everyone would be happy at the end, but I was very wrong... Still, it was interesting. Just super sad interesting...

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail - Cheryl Strayed 
I've had this one on my TBR list for some time, and I finally took the plunge! I've always wanted to hike to the PCT and the AT so this was a such a fun read for me. I loved reading her reasons behind the hike, and the joy and craziness she experienced during it!

The Hunt (The Hunt #1) - Andrew Fukuda
Eh. I don't even remember when I put this on my TBR, but I finally got around to it and found myself rather unimpressed. It seemed like it had the potential to be really cool but for some reason things were seriously lacking. BUT... I'm probably going to read the rest to find out what's happened!

My Life Next Door - Huntley Fitzpatrick 
Cute, but nothing amazing. The relationship was perfect and reminiscent of first loves everywhere, but the big conflict seemed incredibly forced and happened way too late in the book.


Unholy Night - Seth Grahame-Smith
Yay! I love this author for all his crazy remakes of the world we think we know, and this one story didn't disappoint! Unholy Night was bloody and violent and surprisingly moving. It makes you rethink the events surrounding the birth of Jesus and the way the world was then. 

Between Shades of Gray - Ruta Sepetys
Ruta Sepetys is SUCH a good author! Seriously, this is the second book I've read by her and I am sold. She creates such an honest world around her characters and it really makes for a beautiful story. Of course, it was sad... As so many books this month were, but it was still such a great read!

Deadly Cool - Gemma Halliday

Cutesy and silly, but still a nice fluff book to read through! I had heard it compared to Nancy Drew, and while it's not a super accurate representation it was close enough for a quick fun read!

Did Not Finish


I didn't finish this book because it was bad, but because it didn't hold my interest. I already know quite a bit about the Donner Party so I feel like this didn't bring anything new to the table. I imagine this is still a good book, but just not one for me!

This month was filled with sad books, and a lot of books dropped off the list, but I'm still happy with my total read. I feel like I read much slower than usual, but I was surprised to see that I was still on track!

Total Books Read - September: 11
Total Books Read - Year : 95
Year Goal : 110

No comments:

Post a Comment