Friday, August 9, 2013

Monthly Reads Recap - July 2013


I'm a bit behind on July's Monthly Reads Recap, but it's better late than never! I think I read at my typical pace this month, so I'm happy!

All links will take you to GoodReads, as always!


I listened to this book on audio because I wanted to participate in the June session of the Broke and the Bookish Book Club, and even though I didn't end up doing that I still enjoyed the book! It wasn't as "chick-lit" as I had thought it was going to be, but it ended up being interesting and honest and sweet all at once!

This one was on my TBR list for some time, and I actually had it checked out and had to return it before I started it, so when I finally got a second chance with it I jumped in! It was not what I was expecting at all, and it was a good thing! It jumped through time quite a bit, and it worked really well!

I wish that I had liked this book much better than I did. The author contacted me after I didn't win her book through a GoodReads contest and offered a copy in return for an honest review. She was really nice and I enjoyed talking to her, but I just didn't love the book at all! The world building was clever, but other than that it fell flat.

So good! I just ADORE the Shade series! Such an awesome concept, and so well written! I don't know where this author has been all these years, but I am so glad that I found her!


I love books like these. Books like these are considered "Cozy Mysteries" for a good reason! I mean, a bakery run by witches who help solve a murder mystery? Cute!! I also indulged in the Peanut-Butter Brownie recipe in the back of the book and it was awesome!

I was pretty disappointed in this one. It was the epitome of "filler" books. It was the second in a trilogy and it did nothing but move on to the third and final book. I don't recall anything crazy serious happening to the main characters, and I think that the series would have moved on nicely without this one. (Except I just love the relationship between Cate and Finn! So sweet!)

Gah! I was so annoyed with the book above that it affected my perception (negatively) of this book, and it isn't even the same series!! But, when I finally separated the two in my head I was actually unimpressed with the ending. I love the Shade series, I really do, but this was a lackluster follow up to the previous two. It ended nicely, but a lot of what happened in it seemed random and had no bearing on the other two.

RIDICULOUS! I should have listened to all the negative reviews of this book and just left it alone! But no... I had to see for myself... Turns out this book is pointless and eye-rolling and self-pitying. The main character totally needs help dealing with her issues, because she's SUCH a victim! Totally bummed that I picked this one up.


I am so sad that I picked this one up so early! Now I have to wait forever for the second book! I kept reading really awesome reviews for this one, so I put it on hold on a whim, and when I finally got my hands on it I was sucked in! Definitely one of the best books I've read this year!

So... I didn't dislike this book. But I didn't fall in love with it either. In fact, when I went to delete it off my Kindle I thought, "Did I read this book? What's it about?" and when I researched it I realized I had JUST read it like two days before and totally forgotten it already. That pretty much sums it up. (But I love that it was set in Denver!)

SO MUCH POTENTIAL! Seriously. I wanted to fall in love with this book, I REALLY did, but it just felt a little bit flat to me. It took forever to get to the "point" of the book, and even than it was silly. The second in the series seems interesting, but I'm not going to fall for that again!

Ok, so there are a lot of complaints out there about this one. The final Sookie Stackhouse book (after twelve others!) and it doesn't end perfectly. But you know what? I'm fine with that. I saw it coming several books back, and even then it makes sense. Sookie does what makes sense to her, and you really can't fault her for that. I'm sad the series is over, but still grateful that True Blood can fill that gap for a while!

Yaya! I had some awesome books this month, and I also had some LAME ones, but overall I'm happy to get back to my typical reading speed! I have some books that I'm really excited about for August, so I'm ready to dive in!

Total Books Read - July : 12
Total Books Read - Year : 72
Year Goal : 110

No comments:

Post a Comment