Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday - Most Intimidating Books - 7.2.13


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the lovely ladies over at The Broke and The Bookish, where book bloggers from around the globe get together and share their Top Ten Lists! If you'd like to join in and link up then click on over! This weeks topic is...

The Top Ten Seven Most Intimidating Books
(Based on size, content, hype, etc.)

There are only seven books on today's list because I included two authors (that have MANY books between the two of them) so I thought they'd count for the extra three!


A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)



A Game of Thrones - George R. R. Martin
Can I admit this? Like, seriously? I'm terrified of starting this series. I tried listening to the audio-book but barely made it 15 minutes in before I realized that it was way too intense! I am so worried that when I do finally start in on the actual books that I'm going to be overwhelmed or confused, or just end up not liking it!








American Gods



Anything by Neil Gaiman
I KNOW! Everyone that knows my love of books and my author-ly aspirations tell me to read Gaiman. I've read interviews with him, heard his writing advice, loved hearing him on the radio, but I have yet to read a single book of his. I'm just afraid that I won't like his work and I'll be the one person EVER that doesn't want to read him! (I mean, he has a lot of hype. Like, a LOT.)




Eat, Pray, Love



Eat, Pray, Love - Elizabeth Gilbert
So I've heard the love of this book shouted all over the internet, but I have yet to indulge. I feel like I would either turn all crazy fangirl over it or that I would just roll my eyes and call it a waste of time. (Both are things I don't really feel like doing at the moment.)





Gone Girl




Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn
Nope. Just... Nope. I know that people just think this book is fabulous and everyone that's read it suggests it all the time, but I just... I can't. I feel like it's way too much drama and craziness and scariness for me. I may enjoy it, but I'm worried it's going to give me nightmares!!





The Little Prince




The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupery
As far as I know this is the greatest book that has ever been written. People talk about it all the time and I see quotes from it all over the place. I felt a bit left out, so I decided to check it out from the library. Turns out it's an actual book, and not just a cute kids picture book. I didn't even read it, but returned it immediately  What if I don't "get" it?! (It's the Gaiman thing... What if I'm the ONLY one that doesn't understand it's awesomeness??)



 


The Host (The Host, #1)




The Host - Stephenie Meyer
It's no secret that I despise the Twilight Series. (I've been known to get in to heated arguments about it, and it's only occasionally due to liquor!) I've pretty much written off anything that Stephenie Meyer has written and have had no desire to subject myself to this book. But... I've been told (repeatedly) that "The Host is TOTALLY different! It's SO GOOD!" and that "It isn't like Twilight at ALL!" and "Just give it a try!". For the record, I don't really want to. But I would be lying if I said that I wasn't tempted...






The Fault in Our Stars



Anything by John Green
Oh John Green. I've heard nothing but spectacular things about you. Unfortunately, I have intentionally avoided everything you have written! I'm worried that I'm going to find it all over-dramatic and over-romanticized and too swoony for my liking. I figure one day I will suck it up and give one of his books a go, but for now I'm keeping my distance!








I liked this TTT! It was nice to look at the books (and authors) that I've been putting off and see what the reasons were behind them!

Do we share any of the same? Do you have a good case as to why I should pick one of my list up and give it a go? Let me know!

8 comments:

  1. Looks like lots of people have GAME OF THRONES on their list today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that too, and I can totally understand! They are just so big and so loved and so... intimidating!!

      Delete
  2. I think a lot of people have Game of Thrones on their list today! Myself included! I loved The Host. I hope you enjoy it if you do get round to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure we'll all get around to reading GoT one day! Glad to know that you enjoyed The Host... I'm curious but so unsure of it!

      Delete
  3. For Neil Gaiman, start with one of his YA books...Coraline or The Graveyard book or maybe Stardust. That should help. :)
    I did really enjoy The Host after reading Twilight, but I saw the movie when it came out and I just don't think you should bother lol.
    I think John Green would have been on my list too. I've read 3 of his books and while I loved TFIOS, I wasn't completely blown away by it or the other 2 like most people. And yes, he likes to make you ugly cry. So you have to be prepared for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the Gaiman advice! I really do what to try him out, but I've just been so nervous!
      I have a feeling that I'll be reading The Host at some point in my life, but I just couldn't STAND Twilight so I'm super biased!
      And yes, I've heard that Mr. Green is a fan of the ugly cry, and I've heard nothing but positive things about his books... I'm just so unsure about his books!!

      Delete
  4. George Martin is on my TBR list! I did enjoy Gone Girl, but I didn't like the language that was used, it was a bit disturbing. The Host is a novel I didn't like at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the input! It makes me feel better knowing that you weren't a fan of The Host (as you're totally validating me not reading it!) and that you found Gone Girl a bit disturbing as well. I'll have to see how I'm feeling about this books next year!

      Delete