Monday, July 1, 2013

Monthly Reads Recap - June 2013


I thought I toned down my reading last month, but it was nothing compared to this month! 

Links will take you to GoodReads, as always!


The People of Sparks - Jeanne DuPrau
I've heard people say that this was a lackluster sequel to The City of Ember but I really enjoyed it! I thought that it brought up a lot of real issues and showed a lot of truth when it came to the different types of people in the world. Really a good read!

The Dead & The Gone - Susan Beth Pfeffer
I am SO in to this series! I love the whole idea of surviving in the immediate aftermath of a cataclysmic event, and trying to deal with the idea of "normal" being forever changed. Sure, the main character can be a bit obnoxious, but I like that he's just a teenager and thrown in to a crazy situation. (I'd be kind of obnoxious too!)

The Homemade Pantry - Alana Chernila
This is the first time that I've included a cookbook here, but I'm totally ok with it! This book has been on my TBR list for some time, so I finally went for it and checked it out from the library. Now... I can't wait to buy it! Every recipe in that book is something that I want to make, and something that actually seems doable! I'm excited to get my own copy and give them all a go! 

Reunion - Lauraine Snelling
So, funny thing about this book. It turns out it was Christian Fiction. Not that I have anything against Christian Fiction, but it's just not my thing! (And after reading this book I'm pretty sure of that fact...) The plot was decent but I think that if it had been fleshed out a little more it would have been pretty good!




I noticed several reviews that said that this book was both boring and "unfinishable". I promised myself I would read 100 pages, and then give it up if I was bored. Turns out... 100 pages in and I was HOOKED! I really liked this book and I'm excited to dive in to the rest of the series! 

Oh The Bloggess... I've been going back and forth on if I wanted to read this book for a while now. When I finally picked it up I found out two things about it. 
1) It's hilarious.
2) It's depressing.
I went in to it more on my GoodReads review, but basically it made me feel equal parts happy and sad for Jenny Lawson. And it was weird.

Yeah... I couldn't go without the third book and it was availble for Kindle so I grabbed it up! Of course, now I'm ready for the fourth and final book, but I think I've got some time before it's out... I liked how the first two books merged here (even though I felt like we missed out on some stuff) and I did like that the author made sure that things weren't just happy and wonderful, and that the crazy world they live in barged in at times.

You guys! This book is FREE on Amazon! AND IT'S AWESOME! I wasn't sure if I'd like it at first so I let it sit on my Kindle for a few months, but when I finally read it I was blown away! Whenever I get some money on my Amazon account I'm planning on buying the two others in the series!

I know, I know... Only eight books this month, and one was a cookbook that I skimmed! I think that I was feeling a bit burnt out with reading so I took it slow, much slower than I realized, this month. I'm still ahead of schedule on my yearly goal though, so that's good. I did up my goal from last year by ten books, so I'm hoping I hit it this year!

Total Books Read - June :  8
Total Books Read - Year : 60
Year Goal : 110

No comments:

Post a Comment