Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday - 5.7.13


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the lovely ladies over at The Broke and The Bookish, where book bloggers from around the globe get together and share their Top Ten Lists! If you'd like to join in and link up then click on over! This weeks topic is...

Top Ten Books When You Need Something Light & Fun

So, there are much more than ten books on this list. The way that I'm justifying it is that several of these are series, or are by the same author. With that said... Here they are!


Any memoir books written by EllenMindy KalingBetty White, or Chelsea Handler
These have all made me laugh, but Mindy Kaling's is my favorite by far!



I realize that you can read all of the things he's written in these books on Neil Pasricha's website, 1,000 Awesome Things, but it's still nice to have books to thumb through. And for the record, as I read this book aloud to my family there was a lot of head nodding and grinning... These are books everyone can relate to and enjoy!



This series is long, like nineteen novels strong as of today, with no clear end in sight. But the thing is that, while predictable, they are all a good laugh and have an ongoing love triangle that is likely to make everyone roll their eyes and giggle. 



I'm a sucker for Sophie Kinsella books, I can't deny it. I have yet to get in to her Shopaholic Series (I'm not sure why...) but I love everything else she's written! Silly, sweet, and always with the hot guy, these are perfect brain candy!



So I'm just going to go ahead and say that anything by Debora Geary should be included on this list! I've only read her WitchLight Series, but I've heard nothing but good things about the rest of the books she's written. It seems that everything she writes has a feel good quality to it, perfect for when you're down in the dumps and need a pick me up!



These two books are AMAZING. Seriously, I wish there were more in the series! The super crazy thing is that these two are the ONLY books that Beth McMullen has written! I love that she manages to show the craziness that happens when your life pre-baby and post-baby collide, because even if Sally is an ex-spy and I'm totally not, I can relate! (Keep in mind that Original Sin is the first book alone, but Spy Mom is both the first and second book together. For some reason the second book hasn't been released as a single book, but... whatever.) 



Alright, I got hooked on Stephanie Bond when I randomly read Our Husband and while the others I read weren't as appealing to me I still enjoyed them. (Except In Deep Voodoo was unnecessarily creepy...) It seems that everything she writes has a romance angle, but I like the added touches of mystery that she includes as well!

Have you read any of the above mentioned series? If so, what did you think of them?

7 comments:

  1. Nice list. I haven't read any of these yet but I plan to :D

    MY TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that you listed Sophie Kinsella as a to-read on your list today, she's awesome for a good laugh and a quick read!

      Delete
  2. Great list...I had Mindy Kaling's book on my list, along with Tina Fey's...strong funny women FTW! :) I'm going to go check out Ellen's for sure now.
    And I had Sophie Kinsella too, but I can't believe you haven't read the Shopaholics yet! IMO, they're her best work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I forgot to include Tina Fey's on that list! Bossypants is hilarious and just a great read! When I read Mindy Kaling's I laughed so hard I woke my husband up!

      The Shopaholic series has always seemed a bit "too much" for me, but it may be because I've seen the movie and it wasn't all that spectacular... I do plan on giving them a shot soon though!

      Delete
  3. I've read a couple funny lady memoirs, but as I don't read much non-fiction so I haven't tried the ones you listed. By all the recommendations I think I have to give Mindy Kaling's a chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was just something about Mindy Kaling's that was absolutely hilarious! If you give it a chance let me know what you think!

      Delete
  4. I loved both Bossypants and Mindy Kaling's book. There is one, lesser known, memoir about a writer's journey to making friends in a new city which was not only hilarious, but so relatable! It's called MWF Seeking BFF and a great read!

    ReplyDelete