Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday - 5.14.13





Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the lovely ladies over at The Broke and The Bookish, where book bloggers from around the globe get together and share their Top Ten Lists! If you'd like to join in and link up then click on over! This weeks topic is...

Top Ten Books Dealing With Tough Subjects

This one made me a little sad, but I put together a list that I think deals with a wide range of tough subjects. (Keep in mind that these are considered tough for me, and may not be for others.)


"In 70 CE, nine hundred Jews held out for months against armies of Romans on a mountain in the Judean desert, Masada. Two women and five children survived."
It's rare that I come across a book this powerful. There is something about it, about the truth lurking underneath it all, that just hits hard.

"Between 1942 and 1945 psychiatrist Viktor Frankl labored in four different camps, including Auschwitz, while his parents, brother, and pregnant wife perished."
While this book is also an intro into Frankl's form of therapy, logotherapy, the first half is deeply troubling and at times difficult to process. 

"At Westish College, a small school on the shore of Lake Michigan, baseball star Henry Skrimshander seems destined for big league stardom. But when a routine throw goes disastrously off course, the fates of five people are upended."
Filled with the dangers of obsession and the crushing blows failure can hand people, this was a difficult read. I felt deeply for each of the characters as they moved through the dark times in their lives.

"Combining humor, honesty, and plainspoken advice, Momma Zen distills the doubts and frustrations of parenting into vignettes of Zen wisdom. "
Parenting can be hard. Really hard. Even more so if you are hard on yourself. I love Karen Maezen Miller and I think that she handles the tough parts of parenting very nicely in this book. (Honestly though, this book made me laugh as much as it made me think. It's a great read!)

"In seeking a path to safety in an alien and hostile world, Hannah unknowingly embarks on a path of self-discovery that forces her to question the values she once held true and the righteousness of a country that politicizes faith."
Abortion, criminal justice, faith... This one has it all!



"Miranda’s disbelief turns to fear in a split second when a meteor knocks the moon closer to the earth. How should her family prepare for the future when worldwide tsunamis wipe out the coasts, earthquakes rock the continents, and volcanic ash blocks out the sun?"
Natural disasters freak me out. The idea of losing family and friends terrifies me. Are you prepared? How would you survive?

"As their worlds change around them, Jill and Mandy must learn to both let go and hold on, and that nothing is as easy—or as difficult—as it seems."
The sudden death of a parent. An unplanned teenage pregnancy. Both collide to create a story that makes you question just how you would handle the unexpected.

"Mr. and Mrs. Fang called it art.
Their children called it mischief."
And so goes the sad and disturbing story of a family gone seriously wrong, all due to performance art. (Seriously, this book irritated me. A lot. The ending is infuriating.)

"It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery...."
Told by Death, this story made me cry much more than I'd like to admit. If you haven't read it yet, do so as soon as you can.

"Seemingly as different from one another as can be, three women will nonetheless come together for a clandestine project that will put them all at risk. And why? Because they are suffocating within the lines that define their town and their times. And sometimes lines are made to be crossed."
I know there is controversy around this book, and that's ok with me. Slavery is controversial at any level and this book proves it.

Alright, that's enough of that! Take a deep breath, plaster a smile on that face, and have a 
Happy Tuesday!


8 comments:

  1. I really, really want to read WHEN SHE WOKE! And DOVEKEEPERS is actually in my TBR but I haven't had a chance to tackle it just yet. Sounds like I need to asap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a lot of people have mixed feelings about When She Woke, but I thought it was incredibly interesting! Just as a note - The Dovekeepers is a pretty heavy read, but so worth it!

      Hope you enjoy both, and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Loved the book thief and the help nice selections for a tough subject, kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I figure a lot of people will include them, but I just couldn't leave them off my list!

      Delete
  3. Awesome choices! I've only read The Book Thief[which came this close to being on my list], but the others sound great. I've been eyeing How to Save a Life for so long, I need to get to it!

    Here's my Top Ten!

    -Kait @ The Reading Vixens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that The Book Thief would make its way on to several lists, but I just had to include it!

      How to Save a Life was not the best book I've read, but I liked that it was set in my current city and I thought it touched on a lot of subjects that most books shy away from!

      Delete
  4. I'm reading The Book Thief right now! A lot of people have said it made them cry, so I'm a little anxious!
    -Amy, http://odetojoandkatniss.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put it off forever, but I was so happy that I gave in! I didn't think I would get so emotional over it, but it's hard not to feel for everything going on!

      Delete