Friday, May 31, 2013

Monthly Reads Recap - May 2013



I feel like I toned down the intense reading kick I was on last month, and instead focused on some quality books that I've been meaning to read for some time.

All book titles will take you to GoodReads!


Code Name Verity - Elizabeth Wein
I've heard so many awesome things about this book, but about halfway through I just found myself frustrated by all the technical mumbojumbo and wanting to give up on it. Of course, once I got to Part Two I realized how awesome this book really is. If you find yourself slacking like I was just keep with it! It's totally worth it in the end!

The Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus #1) - Rick Riordan
It's no secret I'm a Riordan fan, so of course I had to pick this one up. I enjoyed the idea of a Roman counterpart to Camp Half-Blood and was happy to start a new series!

Naptime Is the New Happy Hour: And Other Ways Toddlers Turn Your Life Upside Down - Stefanie Wilder-Taylor
Ridiculous, and totally what I needed. As a parent to a two year old I felt like this book might as well have been written by me! (Of course, after finding out the author went in to rehab after this book made certain parts a little more cringe-worthy, but I still enjoyed it!)

Witchlanders - Lena Coakley
Shockingly good! The cover makes absolutely no sense considering the main characters are male, but I moved past that! I'm excited to get the second in the series, and I hope it's as impressive as this one! (Uhm, is there a second in the series?)


Unfamiliar Fishes - Sarah Vowell
I generally don't read nonfiction, or even historical nonfiction, but I'm glad I gave Sarah Vowell a chance! I now know more than I ever imagined about Hawaii and I wonder just how many people that visit know the sad story about how the Hawaii we know came to be.

Something Strange and Deadly (Something Strange and Deadly #1) - Susan Dennard
Not the most amazing book that I've read lately, but I still thought it was intriguing! I really was a fan of the ending and I'm looking forward to book two!

The Weird Sisters - Eleanor Brown
Another book outside of my typical reading arena, but nonetheless a lovely one! There was a lot of truth and realizations and love in this book, and I think the messages I picked up from it will stay with me for some time.

Prodigy (Legend #2) - Marie Lu
I actually found myself liking this sequel better than the first. Not that the first was bad, but Prodigy speed things along nicely and really let the characters shine. (My biggest gripe is that the main characters are 15. Seriously? It makes things less believable to me when I remember that.)


The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry - Rachel Joyce
Aww. I loved this book. It was beautiful. It was honest and revealing and just lovely! I've always loved walking as a form of relaxation and meditation, and I love that Harold does it for various reasons but it ends up being life changing in the end.

The Son of Neptune (Heroes of Olympus #2) - Rick Riordan
Woohoo! Book Two in the same month! I loved seeing things from the Roman's camp! (There was a LOT to process in this book though, it's hefty!)

Moloka'i - Alan Brennert
I was blown away by this book. It follows the main characters entire life, and it flows exceptionally well. I think having read Unfamiliar Fishes earlier this month really helped me understand this book more than I would have. I wish I had read this on my Kindle so that I could have highlighted all the nuggets of wisdom it spouted!

If I Stay - Gayle Forman
Ok, so if I'm honest... This was not the most tear-inducing book that I've ever read. It was emotional of course, and I did get choked up and teary eyed at parts, but I think the author did a fabulous job of making this whole book about a choice, and about how things change in our lives no matter what we do to try and stop it. I'm interested in the second in the series, so I may have to give it a chance later this year!


Total Books Read - May : 12
Total Books Read - Year : 52 
Year Goal : 110

While I felt like I read much less this month it turns out that I only read two books less than last month. I would say that I typically average about ten books a month, so I'm happy with all my totals as of today! What about your totals? Are you on track to reach your yearly goal? If you don't have one, are you happy with your reading log so far this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment