Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday - 4.9.13



Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the lovely ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish, where book bloggers from around the globe get together and share their Top Ten Lists! If you'd like to join in and link up then click on over! This weeks topic is...

The Top Ten Favorite Books I Read Before I was a Blogger

Clearly I am new to blogging, so this topic covers pretty much every book I've ever read, but here are my top eight! (Three are actually series, so I decided to lower the total this week!)

**For the record - All the covers except World War Z are not the book covers I recall. I am sad I can't bring you the originals, but these will do!**

I'm pretty sure this book was just tossed to me by my grandfather when I was complaining I had nothing to read while visiting him, but it has become one of the very few books that has a permanent place on the shelf in my home. I can't imagine that I was more than 11 when I read it, but it has become a permanent fixture in my life since then! It's the ultimate adventure novel, and it has just a bit of truth thrown in for good measure, so to me it was an instant classic! 

I have no idea how I ended up with this book (possibly rummaging around my local used book store) but I fell in love instantly. Of course I was in my early teens when I bought it, and it's filled with enough smut to keep things interesting, but regardless I found it amazing! It's epic and intense, and would make one hell of a movie! 

I've read this book more times than I can count and I've loved every single second of each rereading. In fact, I read it so often (as a preteen no less!) that my parents had to literally hide it from me so I would read something else. (Do you know how embarrassing it is to admit all this?) It's the only L. Ron Hubbard book I've ever read and I'm pretty sure things will stay that way, but it's honestly one of the best books I've ever read. (Still embarrassing ..) ALSO - NEVER watch the movie. EVER. It's horrendous. It's just... It's just the worst thing ever. Don't do it!

This one is a given. Ender's Game has had my heart from the moment I started it in my high school library, and it seems I am not alone in the love I have for it. I doubt any book could surpass it in my eyes and nothing I could say make it any more awesome.

Mindblowingly awesome. I love that we are given the history of the apocalypse by the survivors and that each of them have a different experience to share. It's even more amazing as an audiobook where each character is given a different narrator and you get the chance to hear the stories play out. I am furious about the movie "version" though, because this would have been an epic adventure in film making! 



Do I even have to explain myself with this one? Probably not. <3

My first Richelle Mead series, and my favorite by far! Sex, history, mystical beings... This series was a no-brainer for me!

So I realize I blogged about the second in the series, but I read the first one before I started this blog! Also, the third installment isn't out yet, but I'm convinced it's going to be just as amazing as the first two!


So there you go for my first ever Top Ten Tuesday! What are your favorites from before you were blogging?

4 comments:

  1. Smoke and Bone is a recent favorite of mine. I wish we knew when the sequel was coming out!

    ~Dannie @ Left to Write

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard rumors that it's due out next year, but nothing concrete!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Besides the HP books, I haven't read ANY of these. Well, okay, I've started ENDER'S GAME a few times, but I just can't seem to get more than 1/3 of the way through the book. I've decided I'm just one of those people that doesn't "get" its brilliance. I'm kind of a fair weather fan with it comes to OSC anyway -- I love some of his books, loathe others.

    Anyway, happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that Ender's Game is necessarily "brilliant", in fact it's rather disturbing and a little bit sad, but I grew up on a healthy dose of science fiction in my life so it was pretty much inevitable that I would like it! I'm actually not a fan of any other Orson Scott Card (except the rest of the Ender series), but Ender's Game was pretty awesome!

      If you've read HP you may want to take a shot at Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy series. She wrote the Georgina Kincaid series that I posted above, but I know a lot of people appreciate the VA series for the boarding school/mystery aspect that HP had as well!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete