Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday - 4.23.13




Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the lovely ladies over at The Broke and The Bookish, where book bloggers from around the globe get together and share their Top Ten Lists! If you'd like to join in and link up then click on over! This weeks topic is...

Top Ten Books I Thought I'd Like More/Less Than I Did

This one makes me feel kinda bad. A few books on this list are books that have won awards and have a legion of fans that are devoted to them, and here I am announcing that I didn't like them! But, I think I redeemed myself by totally falling in love with an indie series that I'm pretty sure people have never heard of, YAY!

First up, the ones I did not finish:


Apparently I'm not a literary fiction fan, because this book drove me nuts! This quote summed it up for me; "A plot summary is impossible: there isn't a plot. To make matters worse, the protagonist is a laconic introvert of self-avowed mediocrity."

Don't understand the hype. AT.ALL. Seriously, this book was like reading something a third grader told their mom and she wrote it down as fast as she could so she wouldn't forget it.

So this is where I start feeling guilty... I know this book is supposed to be amazing (It won a GoodReads Choice award for goodness sake!) but I was feeling bogged down with unnecessary information. I've heard it gets better though, so I may give it another shot. Sometime. Maybe.


Second, books I finished but found myself unimpressed with: 


After I finished it I couldn't figure out why I liked it so much. Then, I went to reread it and I had no idea why it was appealing. Maybe the historical and magical element? Everything else is just a weird love story...

Another one I don't understand the appeal of. It was creepy at times, but the stupid love triangle was just too much to deal with.

Another guilty admission here... I love Patrick Rothfuss and I did like this book, just not as much as I would have liked. I mean, it was good, just not amazing. (I seriously feel so bad for admitting that!)

AH! THE GUILT! I swear, this was a good book, but I wanted to love it so badly! I wanted it to blow me out of the water like A Discovery of Witches did! So, it wasn't terrible, just not spectacular...

Anything by Scott Westerfeld
Seriously, this isn't a dig at Scott Westerfeld, but I just can't read his stuff. It's like he has an amazing idea but never fully gets to the meat of it. Every time I've read his books I feel like I'm skimming the surface of something that could be so totally amazing that it irritates me to no end! 


And the ones I loved more than I thought I would: 



So these two books blew me away. I was gifted them from my mother-in-law a few years back for Christmas and it took me forever to read them. They are super indie and the covers aren't at all appealing, but she met the author at his bookstore and told him about how I'm an aspiring author. He signed the books and told me to keep going! But anyways, when I finally cracked them open I was in awe. I sped through both books (with the sequel being even better than the first!) and found myself regretting my fast pace when I got to the end. I wasn't really thinking clearly and gave them to a used book store when I was done, and I've been considering going back and buying them again so that I can keep them! Seriously worth a read if you can find them!

Agree or disagree? Let me know!

12 comments:

  1. Very intresting about City of Bones, I think the series gets better as it goes on.

    http://booknerdsjourney.blogspot.com/2013/04/top-ten-tuesday-books-that-i-liked.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that it does get better, but for some reason it was so infuriating! It may have been that I just had too much YA in my life at the time and I needed a break. I'm never against a reread though, so it may be in my future!

      Delete
  2. I didn't care for Name of the Wind either! I am glad you didn't love some of the ones on my post either. Sometimes I feel like everybody loved Name of the Wind and Lovely Bones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Everyone just adores Name of the Wind, and while it was ok(and Patrick Rothfuss is an amazing guy) I just didn't love it as much as I wanted too! The sequel also bummed me out a bit...

      Delete
  3. I did like city of bones but only 1-3 after that there was just to much teenage angst. I totally agree with your scoop on Scott Westerfield. I've tried a couple of his books and I never finish them. I will take your advice and try Four Paths to Forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know I'm not alone with Westerfield! Four Paths may be incredibly hard to find, but if you manage to get a copy I hope you enjoy it! Let me know what you think if you get your hands on it!

      Delete
  4. City of Bones is the weakest in the series, I was a bit confused when I was done. The rest are better but she better now mess up the ending.
    As for others, some I know and have to read yet, but others I don't. I'll definitely look up Lucas.

    Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've considered going back and rereading City of Bones, but it frustrated me so much! I may just wait the series out and go back later and see things change...

      Your welcome, and thanks for returning the favor! ;)

      Delete
  5. With you on The Forest of Hands and Teeth. That was a major disappointment for me, the concept sounded great, yet it was so slow and dull! Like an idiot I read the second book but that was just more of the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah! I can't stand when I do that! It's like, if I didn't like the first WHY would I like the second?! (And thank you for verifying that it was bad, because I've considered against my better judgement to read it but haven't got to it yet!)

      Delete
  6. Just wanted to let you know that I found Four Paths to Forever and Beyond Forever on Amazon for 2.99 each for the Kindle. Based on your mention and the Amazon reviews I purchased both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way! Thank you for letting me know! I was so focused on the "hard copies" that I had that I never even thought of Kindle versions!

      I really hope you enjoy them!!

      Delete